Saturday 16 October 2010

9.The only black chap on the river


“In all my years of boating, I have never seen a black face on the River Thames” Jimmy said. This black guy was in a position of authority and his name was Lawrence. Lawrence was employed as an itinerant lock-keeper which meant that he was employed to cover a number of locks for permanent lock keepers who were on holiday or on sick leave or more probably on holiday while claiming to be sick.
Lawrence was a happy go lucky chap who had a laugh with Eddie Murphyish undertones. But instead of having an American or African accent, he had one of the broadest Cockney accents, which we have heard in years.
When asked” could I take a picture of you Lawrence” he said “Yes, but I will have to out my life jacket on”. When asked why “he said “Its health and safety and I don’t want to lose my job”, Phil replied “More likely in case someone tried to drown you, which wouldn’t have been such a bad thing”. Lawrence replied “Great to meet someone with a sense of humour, you should be on the stage” to which Billy quickly added “Like sweeping it! “Thanks Billy “ said the First Mate “That reminds me don’t forget to sweep the decks, clean the bog, top up the fresh  water, do the washing up and put a shine on the Captain’s and my boots” 

No comments:

Post a Comment