Saturday 16 October 2010

8.Mapledurham


On the approach to the lock on the right hand side is Mapleduram House and the millpond. The estate manger seems to think that the millpond is private but he is wrong. Any part of the Thames that is considerable to be navigable is “common water” and any boat has a right of way. Many years ago the Captain had a confrontation with the estate manager concerning this while pike fishing. “I was by myself fishing in the mill pond early one Sunday morning and this guy came out and said that I was trespassing and you’d better move” so I decided to wind him up a bit .I said to him “I don’t understand what tresspissing is and I think I‘ve run out of petrol, and I don’t suppose you’ve got the odd gallon you can spare!”.This guy, I think his name was Mark Carlisle went on” Someone phoned me and got me out of bed to come down here and I’ve got better things to do”. “Like going to church to repent your sins, like spoiling my fishing or have you got a part-time job as a check-put chick at Tesco’s “said the Captain.”Well this of course enraged  the estate manger  and when  he demanded  to know my name and address,  and me being  such a public minded citizen I had no option  but to give him my details as Mr. Grahame  Green, Toad Hall Cottage, Pangbourne, Berkshire .And even more laughable was  he  actually wrote  it down in his little black book.
Mapleduram lock was the first lock on the Thames to become mechanised in 1956.On the opposite bank when leaving the lock  is Mapledurham Mill which is the only working flour mill still left on the River Thames. After being shut down and inoperable for over 30 years this mill was restored to full working order in the latter part of the 1970’s. This 15th century mill has a wooden shaft made out of oak and a waterwheel made out of elm. The mill’s undershot wheel drives two pairs of millstones which can grind a tonne of flour is six hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment