Wednesday 27 October 2010

49. The prancing, dancing landlord


English pubs are known for their wealth of personalities and mine host, Benny at the Barley Mow was such a chappie. Looking like a cross between the naughty vicar Chris Biggins in the BBC series Poldark and a character from the Men in Black film, he entertained us for a good part of the afternoon.
Phil ordered up  three pints of  Old Hooky  , a excellent brew  produced by the Hook Norton  Brewery but was promptly told by the Man in Black, “I   only serve  beer to my gentlemen customers when I  have   thoroughly cleaned my  pipes out. It was then that we had suspicions that the man in Black may have been batting for the other side!
After listening to his bar keeping prowess he recommended that we try a couple of pints of We Have Blown It –now there’s a another thought but not today sweetie!
It came to pass that we eventually mentioned to the Man in Black our “Three Men in a Boat” trip. He told us “ The BBC  made a version, I think it was  in 2005, and starred those comedians Griff Rhys Jones, Dara Ó Briain, and Rory McGrath and  they didn’t  even visit my  pub although it featured in the book, however  when I watched the film I could see the windows of my boudoir in the distance.”
 It is often said that the gay people are often of an artistic bent and well suited to the arts. Low and behold, the Man in Black almost tripped over and combined it with a series of movements accounting to fancy dance steps better suited to the Bolshoi ballet than a country pub.

No comments:

Post a Comment