Thursday 22 March 2012

192. Small world


When you are away from the women folk and the lonely boater is perhaps thinking of a dalliance along the way, the would-be adulterer should think twice if not thrice about embarking on such a caper, for these days you can’t go anywhere without meeting someone that you know or more importantly, meeting someone that knows that you know, that they know ,that that someone is really someone that, you shouldn’t know.

When approaching the bridge close to the playing fields of Eton, a car had stopped on the bridge and the driver appeared to be waiving at someone and was beeping his horn.
“Must be some problem on the bridge and just an irate driver sounding off at someone “said the First Mate.”No I don’t think so said the Cabin Boy, he seems to now be waving and shouting in our direction and now he’s reversing down to the river bank. 


The driver would down his window and said “ Hello Jimbo, what are you doing here”, the same as you James “replied the Captain. “What you just visiting a very well paying client who’s just about to take you out for a slap up luncheon as well” said James “ No not today James said the Captain ?” ’ He’s just let us use this floating hotel and gin palace, complete with three chamber maids, for a week for free”. “Well where is this wonderful palace then?” came James’s reply “In my imagination, just like yours “laughed the Captain. James Harries and the Captain had been friends and drinking buddies for many years when the Captain used lived in West Berkshire and knew his family very well.
James said" It certainly is a small world I haven't seen you for yonks I have seen you twice in the same day"."What do you mean ? "asked the Captain. "Well back there in Datchet, I honked my horn at you three guys when you were about to cross over that zebra crossing and , I think the big old boy shouted a string of abuse at me."."Sorry about that ", Phil said" I thought that it was just some irate motorist sounding his horn because he was  in such  a hurry and didn;t want to stop to let us three pensioners cross the road."James added "If you cared to look you would have seen that I had wound down my window and was laughing and waving to Jimbo".The First Mate put his hand in his pocket and produced his camera."you're absolutely right, I took a quick photograph of the motorist who tried to mow us down at the crossing, just in case I met him again and had the chance to give him a good trashing".James said" The next time you're in Hungerford look me up, I still drink in the Plume or the Swans, and if you're lucky I may buy you beer".

No comments:

Post a Comment